Getting access to AWAKE
In order to access the AWAKE area, you need to be registered at CERN.
To access AWAKE as a professional visitor, please contact he AWAKE Project Safety Officer via email@example.com at least 5 days before the visit date. For your information, the guideline for organising a professional visit for AWAKE is available on EDMS 1281098.
To access AWAKE in order to work in AWAKE, you must:
- have a CERN access card and a CERN computer account
- have passed successfully the classroom safety course "Self-Rescue Mask", enroll via lms.cern.ch
- have passed successfully the following online safety courses, enroll via lms.cern.ch
- Safety at CERN
- Emergency Evacuation
- Radiation Protection - Awareness
- Electrical Safety - Awareness
- CERN - Beam Facilities
- Radiation Protection - Supervised Area
- have a valid access request to the "TAG41" area, request via adams.cern.ch
- be a participant on a valid IMPACT activity that mentions at least one of the AWAKE caverns (e.g. TCV4, TSG4, ...), check on impact.cern.ch
- wear a CERN personal dosimeter, request from the CERN dosimetry service
- wear a helmet with frontal lamp, wear safety shoes and carry a self-rescue mask
You can check the validity of your access to TAG41 on adams.cern.ch.
Other visits (e.g. private visits, press visits or VIP visits) are not allowed in AWAKE.
Getting to CERN
Detailed information about how to get to CERN can be found via Directions to CERN.
CERN Shuttle Service
CERN provides a regular shuttle service on-site and to and from Geneva airport. Details of pick up points and the timetable can be found via the Shuttle Service.
Administration and Registration
CERN's User's Office has a complete CERN Newcomer's Guide.
Accommodation near CERN
Short Term Accommodation
CERN has several hostels rooms available on site, contact the CERN Housing Service for more information. If you are a CERN registered User with a CERN login and password you can book your room online.
You will find a list of local hotels via Hotels in the Local Area.
Long Term Accommodation
In order to find long term accommodation in the Geneva area, we advise you to contact local real estate agencies before you arrive in the region.
The CERN Housing Service can offer assistance with finding furnished or unfurnished accommodation on the local private market.
The CERN Newcomer's Guide can help you decide whether you want to live in France or in Switzerland.